My Headlines

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

a new future project

Flicking through the latest Vogue knitting, I discovered lots of asthetically pleasing patterns, but this one I have decide I must knit at some stage in the future.

It's unique, I love the fact that it is asymetrical, and the use of fair isle to create something that has an eastern feel to it, rather than a traditional european article. Of course, the fact that it is green has nothing to do with the fact it caught my eye ;)

I'm not such a big fan of the mock-obi, I think that may be hiding the fact that there is no shaping to create that loverly fitted look. But a couple of subtle darts should fix that.

It is really dissapointing that the chart for the fair isle isn't included in the magazine. You have to print it off from the Vogue website. It kinda takes the fun out of it - I'll have to print it off when I have access to a printer and pop it in the mag, so when I finally get around to making it I'll have it all in one place - who knows how long it will be up on the web.

Now I just need to find a good substitute yarn that's available in Oz. I think this would look fantastic with the sheen of silk, but I want something a tad bit more elastic. Possible a wool / silk blend. Any suggestions welcome - leave me a comment :) Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Polly said...

That is kind of cheesy that they dont include the chart in the mag

Kate said...

I've just been searching for wool/silk mix for Kitty's Leo pattern so I can provide you with my results;

Jagger Zephyr

Lavold's Silky Wool http://carodanfarm.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product512.html

Cleckheaton Country Silk http://www.cleckheaton.biz/Colour_range.asp?yarnid=1

Naturally Merino et Soie http://www.naturallyyarnsnz.com/y_merinoetsoie8ply.htm

Elanns Highland Peruvian Silk - its on special at the moment http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann.com+Peruvian+Highland+Silk&Cat=&ProductType=5&Count=1
hope this is useful.

Nikki said...

I'm knitting this sweater right now with Zephyr DK. It's a 50% wool 50% silk blend. Despite that, it really doesn't have the silky sheen I had hoped for. Definitely more wooly than silky.