My Headlines

Monday, December 18, 2006

i love borders....

The post in which we understate the return of my digital camera and photo-posting abilities..

One of the best promos I have ever signed up for is the Borders Books email list - this week (or rather, this weekend, fri and mon inclusive) you got a whopping 40% off when you purchased four books, and 40% one dvd or cd....

I recieved the email yesterday morning (a little late seeing as the promotion had been running for two days already) and made a mad dash after work to the Bondi store in order to score a book for Tuffer's xmas present....

You see, Tuffers didn't want any old book - no, he wanted a very expensive cookbook...

...which I purchased today after standing half an hour in the checkout queue. The book is The Cook's Companion by Stephanie Alexander and has a RRP of $125.

I was a bit sneaky with my purchase - you only get the discount if you are buying full price items, so even though there were a couple of this Tome (and given that this is a very heavy book, Tome is really the only word for it) with a sale price of $99.95, I grabbed one without a sale sticker and with the 40% off it came back down to $75 - the better deal by far.

Of course, Tuffers knew I was going to chase after this Tome so I gave it too him as an early present when I got home. Also, he will be heading across the country to spend xmas with his family in Perth, and it would be riddulus if he packed this mammoth there and back again. The other upside is he was so inspired that he cooked a yummy kangaroo and cous-cous meal for me tonight :)

So of course - what other books did I buy? A fantasy novel in the series I am currently reading... and two volumes to add to my kniterature library...

...yes, I finally got a copy of Zimmermania to add to my own shelf!

Also, on a whim I grabbed Knit 2 together - had a flick through and am rather interested. A kniterature review will follow in the future.

All up the books cost me just under $140 - not bad considering two were hardcovers. I like to think that I paid full price for Tuffers book, $15 for my novel and got the kniterature for free.

Just as the visa was being process, I noticed behind the checkout, season two of House was no long on sale. So I grabbed that at 40% off too.

On top of all this, Borders is having another promo that for every $75 you spend you get a $10 voucher to use in January. I received one voucher with my book purchase, but the DVD purchase was put through seperately, so even though I spent over $150 in one visit, I only got one $10 printout. When I brought this up, they did a manual override to print out another voucher, and ended up giving me another 2! So there you have it - that's why I love Borders. I have $30 to put towards my next Borders visit. I am thinking Kaffe Fassett's Stitch Library to add to my kniterature.- its expensive at $75, but with $30 off it would almost be worth it...

And while I am on the topic of kniterature - I want to send a message to all publishers and bookstores, somewhat in line with Brenda Dayne's knitters manifesto.

*WARNING : RANT STARTING*

I am an accomplished and experienced knitter. I am sick of books that exploit the fact that knitting is fashionable and someone would take it up just look cool or because a celebrately got paparazzi'ed with the pointy sticks...

I DO NOT want "Learn to knit books". I DO NOT want "Basic knits for beginners". I DO NOT want patterns for needles larger than 7mm. I DO NOT want "groovy knits for cool girls". I DO NOT want "easy projects cos knitting is cool".

I DO WANT books that contain challenging patterns. I DO WANT to learn complicated techniques. I DO WANT to learn more than one way to cast on and cast off, increase, decrease and complete colour work. I DO WANT to learn more about the history and traditions of the craft. I DO WANT to be able to get these books locally (not through internet or mail order!) I DO WANT all the knitting books to be on the shelf labelled knitting...

*RANT OVER*

sorry - I just got so gosh-danged sick of all the 'knittin for idiots' books I had to paw through in order to find something with a little more than garter and stockinette stitch in it.


In other news - I stopped off at Starbucks for a Gingerbread Latte (it doesn't feel like xmas without them) and saw the BEST bear-ista ever. Little green aprons with Australia embroidered on them! For those of you who don't know, I was a Starbucks partner (employee is such a tacky word!) when they first opened in Melbourne, and was thoroughly brainwashed by the company. (It has gone from being my second-place to being my third place (TM)) I didn't buy one of these cuties, but dang-it, am wishing I had now. Next time I drop by for a caffiene fix I am sure there won't be any of these left. (sorry for the tacky picture, I didn't have my flash on) Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Taphophile said...

Completely agree with your rant! Good Borders buying - must have Kaffe Fassett. We have our Canberra SnB in a Starbucks and we love, love, love them there. The bear is pretty cute.

Kate said...

Second to the appeal of yarn is the appeal of books about knitting yarn - I also joined up with Borders email just so I could get a discount on their knitting books. I liked the look of the Knit2together one - there seemed to be some challenging projects in it.
Yay! on the Knitting for Dummies rant - along with anyhting that has 'Hip' or 'Sexy' or 'Teen' or 'cool' .....