My Headlines

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Wool Inn - Penrith's LYS

I promised this post a couple of weeks ago, but every time I tried blogger kept eating the post and / or pictures. Even tonight, this is the third time I have uploaded these images.....

But a couple of weekends ago, after a loverly invitation from Kate, five girlies crammed into Candy's car to make a visit to the Blue Mountains knitting guild. We made a slight detour on the way in order to pilgrimage to the Wool Inn in Penrith (in the words of Candy's hubby - are you sure you want to go there - it's at least 20mins out of your way!)

We weren't disappointed when we arrived - and in fact, we behaved very much like kids in a candy stop... or to be more precise, knitters in a yarn store...
This is the magic door you are looking for - the bargain odd-balls are the bait to lure you in...
to this amazing wonderland....
... and I think those shelves and shelves of yarn go back for a good couple of metres past that wall of yarn...

I have to say that this is one of the best stocked LYS I have been into for some time. They had the full range of the Australian commercial yarns for Australian Country Spinners, including the new season colours released at the Sydney stitches and craft show the weekend before. There was also a range of Artyarns, Zara and Ashford yarns, and on display was the recent addition of Noro Yarns - amongst many others.

The tools they had on offer were also impressive. There were Lantern Moon Needles, Tulip bamboo, Brittany Birch DPNs and Rosewood circulars. Apparently they will also be stocking Knitpicks Options once the distributor finally gets them to Oz. There was an impressive range of buttons, and beads - and Lara even found a gorgeous shawl pin hidden amongst the notions.

The Wool Inn also had an impressive amount of Kniterature on offer - in fact, I think they had a library on offer to rival the knitting section of Borders. On top of this there were many pattern books using the yarns they stock, supplied by the manufacturers.

Us five girls - of various knitting preferences - all found something to our satisfaction. Mandy bought some gorgeous bright rainbow mohair to make a scarf, Candy - some undyed lace-weight she plans to colour herself, and a couple of books, Sally bought some Ashford yarn and one of the new red Jet colourways to make a sweater, Lara indulged in some Zara and a ball of Wendy DK Cotton from the bargain bin...

And me? After getting permission from Tuffers to indulge in a little yarn love, I walked away with this beautiful Shadow Tweed - new from Patons. (Some of us - who bought enough yarn for a sweater - got given these eco-bags with our purchases - Lara even bought a bright purple/blue/green eco-bag that suits her personality fine!)

There is a Shadow Tweed booklet with many patterns, but they were mainly turtle-necks and cardigans and they didn't quite appeal to me. If your interested, Patons has pictures of the patterns with this yarn on their site.

I have been playing with this yarn, and am planning a review. For now, I am happy to share that it is 100% Pierre Endorsed!
VOGUE SUBSCRIPTION...

Today I received my first edition of my Vogue subscription in the mail, and after waiting 3 months for this to start, was disappointed to receive the Holiday 06 Issue, which is the magazine I bought just before I subscribed. However, no need to worry - I sent an email off to Vogue and got a reply less than 2 hours later (how's that for customer service!) They are sending me the Winter 06/07 edition (where the subscription should have started) as well as adding an extra issue to my subscription to make up for the mistake.

Once again I am impressed with Vogue's ability to respond to customer's problems timely and professionally!

GIVEAWAY UPDATE...

A bit more info for any overseas readers - the DVD has the 16 short-listed/finalist films from the festival on it. The Sydney Morning Herald did a quick video news item with the finalists you can watch here.

If you have been lurking for a while, leave a comment and let me know what you think - I know from my stats that I have many lurkers!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello, I have just subscribed to Interweave Knit Magazine in August, and was told that I will not be receiving the first issue until Dec 13.

I am wondering, does it normally take that long ? Are there any Interweave Knit mag subscribers out there, and are they happy with the magazine and service?
cheers
susan