My Headlines

Monday, July 09, 2007

So what does a gal do when she misses her market debut?

Well, I don’t know about you but I used my free Sunday to play up on Saturday night… but more on that in a minute –

Thank you all for your best wishes for my Pop – his surgery went fine, and as of this morning is back at home annoying my Nan. To clear up any confusion, Pop is my maternal grandfather (ie, Mum’s Dad) and there are some rather dashing pictures of him here. As to what he sells at the market – well, I have blogged about his markets before, but to recap there are handcraft by my Nan (mostly knit and crochet), plants and seeds propagated by my Pop, as well as his handy-work with wood and such that entertains him out in the shed. He also makes some fantastic recycled cutlery wind-chimes! He is a rather energetic old man, and sometimes I forget he is a septuagenarian and a month shy of being exactly 50 years older than me (I’m the 28th March, he’s 28th April) so perhaps it shouldn’t be a surprise that things may go wrong requiring hospital stays – but it always is.

So now back to the weekends events – my bestest bud had a big party to celebrate turning 28 (his favourite number) and had family and friends from all over the state heading to Geelong. Needless to say, not needing to awake early on Sunday to prepare for market, I ended up not going abed until early Sunday. Since becoming ill, I haven’t been much into crowds, parties, or such; however I was apparently very much my old self from 3 years ago – very talkative and loud whilst making rounds of the guests. (I think that may have been a polite way of saying I was obnoxious and annoying – but I had a good time). I’ll be writing a bit about alcohol and depression for this Friday’s “Fight the Black Dog”.

Of course, my bud is a bit of an athlete, and in the past has competed in triathlons and cycling, but currently is right into building and racing recumbent tricycles, aka human powered vehicles. This means there were a few people into pedal power at the party, so at stupid o’clock in the morning we switched over to SBS to watch Le Tour prologue live from Londres. Sadly, no knitting was done (due to the fact I may have taken out my, or someone else’s eye with those dangerously sharp knitpicks in my ever so slightly incapacitated state) but I was clicking away in spirit. I doubt I will stay up to watch any of the other stages (I am supposed to be working on getting into a decent sleeping routine) but I will definitely be catching all Le Tour highlights on SBS each night (I think they are 6pm mon-sat, 530pm on sun) and sitting with my needles in hand.

The aim is to finish my Clapotis by the end of le Tour (I started it just before the KAL was announced, so it has been sitting on the back burner for a few weeks) and I am working it in gorgeous sea-wool. I have found the magic number of stitches for the most beautiful colour pooling effect, and I think the fabric looks like it was printed after it was made rather than dyed before.

And congrats to Robbie McEwan who is sitting pretty with the green jersey!


Lynne said...

The colour pooling on that sea wool is beautiful. Can you tell me more about the yarn please?

Taphophile said...

Oh, your clap is gorgeous. You've done well to find that magic number. So glad you had a good time at the party.

I love this time of year, but get little sleep, what with Wimbledon and the Tour.

Lara said...

Yay Meg!

2paw said...

The Clapotis is absolutely gorgeous: it does look like it is a printed fabric too!!!

Meg said...

I love the colours in your Clap! I can't stay awake to watch the live stages, it's way, way past my bedtime!

Jejune said...

Your Clapotis is just stunning... it does look printed - a real show stopper!

Glad you were able to get out and socialise, and spend time with your friends, that's always a good thing (even if the alcohol isn't). VERY glad your Pop is home safe and sound, too.

And YES - yay Robbie!! We're watching avidly too :D