My Headlines

Friday, May 25, 2007

kopykat

After seeing the simple beauty of Brooklyn Tweed's Noro Scarf, I had to have a go at it myself.





There are a couple of differences with what I did - I only used two skeins of silk garden (I baulk at spending $60 on yarn for a scarf!) and made a nice long skinny scarf that could be worn as either a classy accessory, or would also be good for warmth.





I ended up using 24 stitches, slipping the last stitch of each row. I ended up knitting it twice - the first time it was too wide and too short, however, as it did a double pass through the fingers it is now definitely twig and splinter free and incredibly neck friendly. One you get all the cellulose out of Noro it is incredibly soft yarn.





My pics are nothing on Brooklyn Tweed's, so check out his to get a better feel for the Noro magic.





THE STATS





NAME: Manual Noro.


PATTERN: Based on Brooklyn Tweed's specs


YARN: Noro Silk Garden


YARN SOURCE: Stitchery Blue


NEEDLES:4.5mm aluminium Birch circulars


COMPLETED: 24 May 07





Sea-Wool WIP





Ain't it purdy? I am working an top-down yoke sweater based on Elizabeth Zimmerman's percentage system. The Skein of sea-wool gave me a 8-inch yoke, and the variation gave great detail with no effort on my part.





I got some 5-ply wool to complete the sweater with - it knits at the same tension as the sea- wool and (I think) creates a great contrast with the yoke. It will be slow going completing the rest of the sweater - and possibly boring being straight stockinette (knit knit knit) - but also makes for great mindless knitting when my hands have a need to be moving and my brain wants a little time out.





New hobby - stalking knitwear...

I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm not the only one to do this - I seem to be developing a really bad habit of browsing through shops (yes - including designer collections) to check out what knitwear they have in stock. I then try to guess what it's made from, and the acrylic content of the item before turning the item inside out to check what's on the tag.

I have learnt a couple of things from this - the first is that there is a high man-made content in most fashion (usually at least 40% acrylic whether a cotton or wool knit) - and the second - I am perfectly justified in spending money on natural fibre yarns to make my own garments. Paying $100 for the materials to make your own sweater isn't really that much when you see something more expensive with very little natural fibre. Of course, there is a third reason - inspiration!


However, sometimes I see something that is just too fantastic - these indulgent gloves were on display at Polo Ralph Lauren. I am guessing they are angora (oh so soft) but I haven't a clue of the content or the price - as with most designer boutiques prices and tags were well hidden.

And finally, in response to Kate's question in yesterday's comment - I first saw the Australian Country Spinner's swatches at Lincraft in Geelong, but since then I spotted them in Clegs and Wondoflex in Melbourne. The seem to have appeared overnight!

3 comments:

Jejune said...

Ooooh, I like those gloves - but in *white* 0_o Can you imagine how dirty they'd get?

The Noro scarf is just divine!

Paisley said...

I love your Noro scarf - I admired Brooklyntweed's when he posted it a while back (you're right about his photos - he's really got the knack for styling and lighting his shots just right - but your photo shows off the colours and the effect just as effectively).
I'm still thinking I'll make socks with my SeaWool - my trousers tend to ride up enough that I get to show the socks off anyway!

Kate said...

That Sea Wool goes a long way. If my socks turn out a failure I know where I'll be heading next.
And on a completely different topic you have been tagged for a little, tiny, wee, meme (if you haven't done it already.) If you have, do one about Pierre instead.
See Blog for details.