My Headlines

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Katoomba LYS

A few weeks ago, David invited us to visit his LYS - Katoomba Wool & Needlecraft...

We weren't really sure where we were heading, but Katoomba isn't all that big, and we knew we were in the right place when we saw this cute sign in the middle of the footpath...hee hee hee - a knitting sheep (I wonder if he is knitting in cotton???)

Just in case we had doubts, we found the trail of yarnbaskets to lead us right to the door...

And inside - all sorts of treasures and delights. If I had to describe this store in one word it would be "essentials" -

The store has all the yarn lines, in all the colours from Australian Country Spinners (Patons, Panda and Cleckheaton) as well as Naturally. There was also quite a collection of British yarns such as Twilleys of Stamford and Sirdar.

Although not the main focus of the store there was also some luxury yarns, such as quite a bit of Jo Sharp in stock, but not quite the entire collection. And there were also a few novelty yarn s (however, the store was not overrun with them.)

As far as the fruity new vegan yarns (such as bamboo, soy, maize or corn, and hemp) - they haven't seem to made it to this store - yet!

My guess is that a lot of the custom for this store comes from 'traditional' knitters who may not adventure away from machine washable 8ply wool crepe...

The flavor of the day for us was the Twilley's of Stamford new yarn, Freedom Spirit. I think 3 of us walked away with enough for a garment out of this fantastic yarn (I have already completed my bolero!)

Of course, one LYS is much like another if you don't get any personality from the staff. Jan - the owner - was on hand to help us with all our queries. If you listen to Sticks&Strings, you have probably already met Jan, as David interviewed her for one of his earlier shows. She is every bit as loverly in person, and, I discovered, has great taste in dogs...


Yes - that calendar in the middle there is a whole year of Papillons! And she owns two Papillons herself, quite possibly distant cousins to Pierre...

If you are driving up the Blue Mountains I would recommend popping in and saying hello to Jan. She is incredibly chatty, and didn't mind us bringing our take-away coffees into the shop while we browsed. (For some of us it was the first caffeine hit of the day, and we really needed it!)

Shadow Tweed Sweater

This is what I have accomplished so far with my shadow tweed - front, back and sleeves knitted separately and then joined in the round and shoulder shaping completed via raglan decreases and a v-neckline put in.

I made the pieces of the jumper slightly smaller than I would usually and am completing a sleeve/side seam gusset to make up the extra width - yes, it was intentional. I wanted long colour repeats, and wanted to experiment a bit with the construction. I have grafted in one of the side gussets, and only have to complete the other to have a finished garment. I am thinking this will be a great hot chocolate, on the couch, in front of the telly, pouring rain outside kinda jumper....

New blog - welcome Sally

Sally - the unofficial leader of the Rubi and Lana group, has finally given into her blog-envy and created her own at pompoms.wordpress.com. Please pop on over and say "hi!"

Sally is also playing with Shadow Tweed at the moment, making a jacket from the Patons booklet. She made the comment that this is the first time in 20 years she has used a pattern, so hopefully she will have lots of wonderful, one-off designs to share with us when she gets into the swing of things (hehehe - put you in it now, haven't I Sally!)

Canberra knitters

I checked out the Canberra knitters blog, and looks like I'll be able to make it to the S'n'B this thursday evening (the 5th) at Starbucks Civic. Look forward to catching up with you all again!

I am actually heading down to Canberra tomorrow, and I'm not sure what interweb access I will have while I am away, so if you don't hear from me for a week - don't worry. I'm living life!

6 comments:

Taphophile said...

Oh goodie - look forward to seeing you Thursday. :)

Meg said...

Thanks for showing us the Katoomba LYS. I don't make it to the Blue Mtns very often but when I do, I spend most of my time thinking 'there MUST be a yarn shop around here somewhere!'

Bells said...

Oh my goodness. That shadow tweed is breathtaking!! Bring it to SnB with you!!!

chocolatetrudi said...

Oh goodie! I'll be in Katoomba for a fortnight in June so the tour of the yarn store is much appreciated. I'm sure I'll pack enough yarn to keep me knitting for months, but it's always reassuring to know there's somewhere to go if I run out.

Jejune said...

Lovely to see the Katoomba LYS - and am looking forward to seeing you in Canberra tomorrow night!

I see that Pierre does the same thing my chihuahua does - sits on the most cosy and precious thing around, preferably hand-knit lace.

Jejune said...

Was lovely to see you last night - and the Shadow Tweed jumper is just divine! Stunning colours, so cosy :)