My Headlines

Sunday, November 12, 2006

The 30 year quilting project...

when my Mum was in teacher's college, some 30 odd years ago, she started a project...

It was a hand-peiced quilt.

Because she was a student and didn't have much money, a lot of the fabric was recycled. Mum bought clothing from op-shops (with funky 70's prints ;) washed them, and cut the fabric into hexagons.

These hexagons were all sewn together a la honeycomb style, and then (I am being a bit creative here... sorry Mum, if I deviate too much...) I am assuming she got pregnant, had a young family too take care of and started teaching full-time and focusing on a career...

For many years the hexagons languished inside a cane chest, some time at the end of Mum and Dad's bed before the chest was moved into the lounge room, had a pane of glass placed in top of it and became a coffee table...

Occaissonally (when the coffee table was clear) the hexagons came out of the chest, were aired a little bit, shown off to daughters and the rare guest, and then went back into its cane fortress of solitude.

Until recently....

The hexagons came out, had some wadding and facing tacked to them, and Mum started hand-quilting.

When I left 'home' to return home, just over a week ago, Mum was hand-sewing the edges and hem to complete the quilt. I am assuming it is all done by now, but before I left Mum had it laid out so I took a couple of pics of it....

She calls it a 'generous queen sized quilt' but I think it is closer to king size - what do you think??


Oh, and it continues over the back of the couch too...


hows that for a wardrobe re-fashion??
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: