My Headlines

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Shoesday - odd button shoes...

CAMPER TWINS...

Way back when, when I first joined the Navy, there was some sort of hiccough in the system and I didn't get my full pay for the first 6 weeks. When I finally did get paid I happened to be in Canberra with all this cash burning a hole in my pocket...

Given that the epitome of style in Jervis Bay was the Kmart three quarts of an hour drive away, and that I had spent the past 6 weeks in GP (general purpose) boots - I was keen to spoil myself a little.

I found some beauties just like these during a shopping marathon in the ACT - (these photos were salvaged from an ebay action) 
Can you see why they are called Twins? The are off the fraternal type - complementary but not identical. Oh, and incidentally, I have to say that Camper, originally made in Portugal, manufacture the most comfortable shoes evah!
I have literally loved these shoes to bits - these were the first pair of non-uniform shoes I polished when they began to get scuffed (a solid black leather background made the bright white 'thread' and silver 'needle' embroidery stand out better). The first bit to go was the the little rubber 'Camper' tabs on the side near the heel. The sole got quite worn down. Then Pierre chewed through the elastic mary-jane strap when he was a young pupster. Early last year, about 4 years after I first bought them the button finally fell off. I still have it somewhere, and the shoes are still completely wearable and comfy, but they just didn't have the same sole soul...

Knowing this, when my Sis went to Europe for a holiday last year, she brought me back a brand new pair of Campers...


Funky bright red ones! The only problem - they were just a tad bit too tite - these are a 38 when I needed a 39, and I couldn't take them back and exchange them.  What to do, What to do??
I am sure that any shoe-fetishes out there would be telling me to 'suck it up and remember that style = pain', but considering that the reason to wear Campers is because they are incredibly comfy shoes, that seemed to be a rather ridiculous reason to hang on to these gorgeous shoes...

However, being a gift, I was worried I would offend my sister if I were to offload these, so they sat in my closet for a long long time... until I decided to exchange without the blessings of the Camper company. 

I couldn't get the exact same shoes, but these cuties are on their way to me as I type this...(photo also stolen from ebay)
I won these on ebay last week, and put my red Campers up for auction... I can't wait until these arrive! 

Oh... and anyone with feet slightly smaller than mine that want to bid on my bright red campers can find them here...

3 comments:

Jejune said...

Oh what seriously gorgeous shoes! Good luck with your auction :)

SallyO said...

Aren't they fabulous! I WANT SOME.

Jan said...

Did you know there is now a Campers shop in the Queen Victoria Building in Sydney? Perhaps a good reason to visit. LOL.