My Headlines

Saturday, March 15, 2008

kindergarten painting...

Have I mentioned how much I love my course???


One of my classes is colour theory and applications... but rather than learning about radiation wavelengths and frequencies, or doing a whole bunch of heavy reading what we are doing is a lot more fun...

Yesterday I spent the whole day making a colour wheel by mixing primary colours - yes, the same principle that you learnt in kinda...

Okay - perhaps a little more advanced, we were trying to mix exact shades and there was no finger-painting, but do you know how much fun it is to spend the whole day at a higher education campus and and play around with gauche and paint? After spending years reading articles about subversive patriarchal ideologies in literature or trying to write computer programmes for spherical trigonometry there something so freeing about going to class just to paint colours so you can learn by doing....

Of course, one of things I am enjoying most about my course is  difference is pedagogical method between tafe and university. Everything that you do at tafe is so practical, with the theory being taught during or after you have completed the task. Quite refreshing after years of uni where you learn the theory and then, if you are lucky, do the practical (which, when I did physics, I found rather redundant: "We learnt in the lecture about Boyle's law and low pressure - why do I have to waste three perfectly good hours first thing on a friday morning to test it... the guy is obviously right or else it would have been dropped from the course content...") 

Oh - and did I tell you last week we spent a day at the zoo sketching animals for drawing class? You can't get more fun than that! If I remember I'll take some photos of my sketches and see if you can guess which animals we visited!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Yes, I agree. TAFE [Cert IV Fine Arts] was more fun than Uni [Bach. Adult Ed; Grad Cert TESOL] - the Uni degree was more useful career-wise though!!

Jejune said...

Oh! So. Much. Fun!!! My graphic design course (TAFE) was much more hands on than my Uni studies (BSc), and just as hard work in many ways, but so much more satisfying. Plus it got me good work :)

So, enjoy!! Would love to see your zoo sketches!