My Headlines

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mowm says tocolat isn't good for dawgs..

Yesterday I stayed after class, got a late train home, and grabbed a quick snack at the train station because it was going to be at least another hour before I got home for dinner. Because time was scarce, I grabbed a Mars bar from a vending machine - the type of packet had two 40 gram bars, and I only ate one, wrapped the other one up and put it in my bag to save for (later)Ron.

Subsequently, I had completely forgotten about the chocolate bar left in my bag... 

which Pierre's keen sense of smell picked up on when I was out of the house... 

... and I came home to find an empty wrapper...


...and the little guy led me to a smidge of candy that was all that remained of the 40 gram Mars bar I brought home last night...

Call to Vet:

Me>"Hi, my dog just ate half a Mars Bar... is that going to be a problem??" 
Vet nurse>"Possibly not, how big is your dog?"
Me>"He weighs 2.5kg"
Vet nurse>"Ummmm.... can you hold while I check with the vet?"

hold music

Vet nurse>"Ummm... in a dog that small it could be a lethal dose. Can you bring him in???"

Of course - as chocolate doesn't present a threat to dogs until it passes through the digestive system and liver failure etc happens, Pierre was acting as if nothing was going on.... 

P thought it was a grand adventure - the harness and lead went on him, so he was getting out of the house; he got a ride in the car; he met lovely vet nurses who 'oohed' and 'aahed' over him; he met other dogs; he got treats... 

Poor thing didn't know what hit him when he was made to swallow salts to induce vomiting (which didn't work), and then got an injection to induce vomiting (which did work)...

We got sent home with the advice that the pupster may be a little drowsy as the drugs he got injected with has a sedative effect...
 
For some reason, however, Pierre reacted like he was on speed when we got home. One and a half hours of psycho puppy running from one end of the house to the other. He'd jump up on my lap and wiggle and fidget - the guy couldn't sit still.... above is what happened when I tried to take a picture of him.

Except when he was having a drink. 

Well, you do loose a lot of fluid when you vomit. Of course he'd be dehydrated.

The little guy is doing fine now.. and he got a new squirrel toy (below) that has been named 'Mars-bar'...


(oh... and yes, I did finish all the squares on the green afghan - you like!)


4 comments:

gemma said...

ooo Pierre, you are worse than a child!!! bloody dogs.
And yes, your afghan is lovely (now to get rid of all the ends, sigh)

Jejune said...

Oooh poor Pierre (and you!) - it's always a worry when you have tiny dogs, isn't it... as far as I know Lily never got into any chocolate, but we had to keep a close eye on her!

Love the blankie! :)

Twinkerbell said...

Poor little guy and his poor mom, that must have been stressful. Glad to know that he's ok though :D

My Darn Yarn said...

Poor Baby! Chocolate + Little Dog = Not Good.
Another thing you can do to induce vomiting is to force 2 Tbsp US (30 mL) of hydrogen peroxide down his little gullet. I had to do that with my Doxie once and, yes it's gross, but it gets all the chocolate out. Just something to keep in mind in case it happens again.
But I’m so glad that your little pup is feeling better!