My Headlines

Friday, November 02, 2007

Fight the Black Dog #8 - November 07

Yes - I am approaching you hat in hand - if youare so inclined, please click on the dontate button in the side bar to help out with my internet related costs. I would like to raise enough funds to create a dedicated page for this cause.





Tale from another black dog knitter



Although I don't know you personally, after reading the story that came out today in Knitty I feel like we have much in common. I have suffered from depression since high school (for about the last 18 years or so) and know what it is like, and also know how hard it is to realize that you have to get help (being in total denial until after college). In my own experience, mental illness is one of those things that people sometimes think you can just "get over" -- I have been told that I was focusing too much on myself, I should just "stop thinking about things too much" and that I was selfish, while in fact I had a serious issue with depression and anxiety. It is a horrible thing to go through -- it takes your time and energy away from things you love, from your friends and family, and turns you into a different person that does not reflect all your true skills and talents. After 8 years on SSRIs, several attempts to get off the meds, and a couple of severe relapses, I am now medication-free and a lot happier. I want to wish you the best in your treatment and recovery, and would really like to thank you for being so open about this issue. Like you, I too have found that knitting has offered me a way to calm my mind, focus on something, and feel like I have the potential to create something beautiful and appreciated, even if I don't feel so good about things otherwise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't find an email address for you pierre! I wanted to send an email is this possible?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you are asking for handouts. You don't even post regularly. If you think that your so good at providing 'depression' tips why don't you back yourself and put your money where your mouth is.

I think you need to be aware that you can actually help yourself a lot when you have depression. I haven't seen anything like that on your site - just sob stories. Some of manage to live with depression without labouring others with out tales of woe.

Grumpy Crumpet said...

Hurrah for snubbing the boyfriend curse and the very best boyfriend ever.

Depression is insidious. It can sneak up on us and our loved ones. Since it starts so simply, it can often be easy to miss.

Best of luck to you three and thanks for sharing your stories.

Autumnknitter said...

I wish I had found this blog a year ago, you can look at my blog, and tell when I started blogging again.
I have been fighting the "black dog"since I was 8- on and off- on and off- again and again. Please e-mail me so we can talk.
Thanks-