My Headlines

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Did you know that 80% of childrens’ books published today feature male heros?*

*Fact from http://www.sheroescentral.com/


Way back when I was an angst-ridden pre-teen, I stumbled across a series of fantasy books where the main protagonist was a short, stocky, redheaded female who was disguising herself as a boy so she could complete training to become a knight. She yelled insults at bullies, got into fights, could perform magic and had an affair with the crown prince before she turned 18. I was completely captivated and devoured all the books in the series. 

For those of you not in the know, the author is Tamora Pierce... and to this day she is still one of my favourite authors.

One of the reasons her books resonate so well with me, is because she generally writes fantasy with a female hero or shero (as opposed to an heroine - a shero is a female of decision and action, rather than an heroine who is characterised by her indecision and inaction and is basically just an object for the real hero to save)

Anyway, I am mentioning this because I just finished reading Bloodhound- Pierce's latest novel. And I thought I would do a mini-series of blogging this week where I can introduce to Pierce's work, and hopefully you can share it with the adolescents in your life. (Particularly the girls, but I see no reason why boys wouldn't enjoy the adventures too)

I'd personally love to see Pierce offered a deal where she simplified some of her tales down to picture book level, and had a couple of action figure tie-ins in order to give younger children an alternative to Barbie and Bratz dolls 
(Imagine it - child one "my Aryan big-boobed dolly is in a wedding dress..." child two "well... my dolly is shorter than yours and has small boobies, but she comes with armour and a sword and has the temper of a redhead and can cut your silly plastic fake in half with a single stroke....)

Anyway - tomorrow I shall start with my review of that first series I read, Song of the Lioness. 

3 comments:

2paw said...

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I'm thinking this is the second book in The Terrier series? Or rather I hope it is. I'll be off to the book shop tomorrow to look for it!!!I think Pierce's books are absolutely fabulous!!! I have them all and I am looking forward to your reviews!!!

Ginger_nut said...

Yes 2paw - Bloodhound is the second book in the Beka Cooper/Terrier Trilogy - it doesn't disappoint:)

fuzzyjay said...

This is one reason I liked the 'His Dark Materials' series by Phillip Pullman... he used a girl as protagonist (Lyra). Also, the animated film "My neighbor Totoro" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Neighbor_Totoro] from Japan featured girls as heroes (back in 1988...)